History of South Africa until 1994 - Geskiedenis van Suid Afrika tot 1994         Deurpad       Home



Afrikaanse geskiedenis

Unieke en geskiedkundige gegewens met betrekking tot Pretoria en die Uniegebou

Battle of Blood River.  An estimated 10 000 Zulus defeated by 470 Afrikaners
When Andries Pretorius and 470 Voortrekkers (the wencommando) with 64 wagons set out - in search of vengeance for the murder of Piet Retief , his men and
for the massacre of men, women and children at Bloukrans - the Zulu general Ndlela was ordered to
stop them as they crossed the Buffalo. To the Zulus
the Tugela and its tributaries always marked the sout-
hern boundary of their land. Any person crossing the Tugela or its principal tributary the Buffalo was expec-
ted to have the permission of the Zulu king or face the penalty of death.The Trekkers crossed the Buffalo on
the 15th of December. The Zulu impis found the
Trekkers encamped between the Buffalo River and the Ncome River. Read article

Die Kruger Miljoene
Die verwydering van goud uit die S.A. Munt voor die val van Pretoria - 4 Junie 1900.
Om mee te begin, goudmyne onder beheer van die destydse ZAR het op 'n beperkte skaal goud ontgin. Vandaar is die goud
na die munt in Pretoria geneem.
Met die besetting van Pretoria op 5 Junie 1900 deur Britse soldate vind Lord Alfred Milner (1852 - 1925) dat goud, sommige
van dit in half gemunte vorm ter waarde van duisende Ponde uit die S.A. Munt en die Nasionale Bank verwyder is. Die hoeveel-
heid goud en die waarde daarvan....wel, daaroor bestaan verskeie menings, soos die van Eli Levine, outeur van The Coinage
and Couterfeits of the Zuid Afrikaanshe Republiek. Lees die ware verhaal rondom die Kruger Miljoene

The Voortrekker Monument, symbol of Afrikaner Freedom and Political Ideal
The Voortrekker Monument stands just outside Pretoria on the summit of a hill known as Monument Koppie.
It was built in honour of the Voortrekkers. Gerard Moerdijk was appointed as architect. The idea to honour
the Voortrekkers with a monument was first voiced by General Piet Joubert on 16 December 1895.




The Union Buildings, National Monument of Reconciliation and Union between the Afrikaners and the British
The Union Building that was built on Meintjieskop, Arcadia, named after Stephanus Jacobus Meintjies. Arcadia was
farmland, originally belonging to Andries Francois du Toit, who then sold it.The cornerstone was laid in November
1910 by the Duke of Connaught. The buildings were completed in 1913. These buildings, built from light sandstone, designed by the architect Sir Herbert Baker
in the English monumental style and many old Dutch architectural motifs, are 285 m long.
The semicircular building has 2 wings - these 2 wings represent the union of the Afrikaners and the British.
Together they formed the Union of South Africa.



A Brief History of the South African Defence Force (SADF) 1912 1994      Part 1    Part 2